Thursday, May 24, 2012

REVIEW: A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1)
by Deborah Harkness
Pages: 579-US Hardback
Publisher: Viking Adult
Release Date: January 1, 2011
My Rating: 5/5
Book Summary: Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell. --goodreads.com


My Thoughts:
I've been sitting here pondering just how I should go about talking about my feelings towards this book for a good many minutes now. I just want to scream at the top of my lungs THIS BOOK WAS ALL SORTS OF INCREDIBLE to every person that i pass by and speak to, hoping that's enough for you to understand. But then what kind of review would that be? You need more information, i suppose. So here goes...


A Discovery of Witches might just be my new absolute favorite fiction read.. ever. Not just this year, not the last 5 years, i'm talking ever. Never have i read a book that felt so unbelievably real while still feeling, well, unreal. It's a world chock full of science, mystery, magic and historical elements that intertwine into this marvelous, unputdownable debut. 


Filled with witches, vampires, and daemons, Deb Harkness has handcrafted a story that is sure to delight the masses. It's no wonder it's an NYT Bestseller, you'd be silly not to put it on the list. With strong characters that are rather relatable while still being enticing enough to bring you somewhere you've never been, Rebecca Bishop and Matthew Clairmont are a witch/vampire duo that you can't help but route for, along with a slew of smaller characters you can't help but love. 


I am more than anticipating the second installment of the trilogy, Shadow of Night, which isn't due out until July of this year. I'll be waiting with shaking hands and a pounding heart until I know what happens next. 


1 comment:

  1. I've seen this cover around a lot but haven't read anything about it. Great review! I'll be picking this up soon (x

    ReplyDelete