Saturday, March 19, 2011

REVIEW: Hex Hall

                           
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Pages: 323-US Paperback Edition
Publisher: Disney Hyperion 
Released: March 2, 2010
My Rating: 5/5
Book Summary: On her 12th birthday, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. Three bumpy years later, after a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, she's exiled to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush  on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Then when a mysterious predator begins attacking students, and Sophie's only friend is the number-one suspect, a horrifying plot begins to surface. Soon, Sophie is preparing for the biggest threat of all: and ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My Thoughts:
Talk about a fantastically fun read. I am still in shock at just how unbelievably enjoyable this story was. Out of all 323 pages i don't think i found one thing i didn't like. Is that even possible? To like absolutely word, every sentence, every character. Well obviously it is. Hex Hall had me reading when i was out to dinner, ignoring all family members. When i wasn't reading Hex Hall, i found myself wishing i was reading it.  

Sophie Mercer is one bad-ass character with a super kick-ass personality. She's oh so sarcastic and downright witty. And she sure as hell is not afraid to hold her tongue, even if it ends up getting her an entire semesters worth of detention. 

Hex Hall is just like any other high school. Full of the outcasts, the super-hot-oh-my-god-i-just-drooled-all-over-his-shirt-i-wish-you-were-mine boy, and the (insert b here)itchy clique of girls who like to torture anyone underneath their popularity. Even though this book is filled with magic and spells, it is completely relate able for the sheer fact that it still operates like any other high school. 

This is surely a book that will have you devouring it until the very last page. Who knows...maybe you will end up like me, where you had to dash to the bookstore the minute you finished the last word, just to buy the sequel.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I read about Hex Hall the more I want to read it. I only hope after reading so many great reviews it still lives up to my expectations

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved, loved Hex Hall! Can't wait for Demonglass to hurry it's butt up and be shoved in my mailbox already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reviewed this book already as well and I started reading Demonglass last night. Thankfully I didn't have to rush anywhere to buy it, I just opened my shop on my NookColor and bought it when I finished Hex Hall, lol I am so spoiled by my in-home book shopping now! Great review, you should stop by my blog and check mine out too if you have some time!

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    Anyway, I hope you're having a great day! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete